Fashion is something that we have to deal with every day of our life. Fashion is the sense of creating different styles in clothing, footwear, accessories, and makeup. It encircles a wide range of behavior, speech, action, manners, and lifestyle. Fashion is one of those elements which hold our society together. Fashion is everywhere and so are the people who make it.
Today’s youth judge you based on what you wear; from the pins in your head to the shoes on your foot, everything must be branded. Fashion has grabbed school students under its curse as well. For the school students, fashion is the school bag they carry, the watch they wear, and on top of it the way they wear their uniform. Nowadays teenagers and students are much focused on fashion and style that they forgot about what is important in life.
How Students Are Influenced By Fashion?
Students nowadays are more technologically advanced than in previous centuries. With smart technology like phones, laptops, the internet, everything is easily accessible for them. Many series, shows, dramas, etc. are easily accessible for them to view, and with that comes the interest in the dresses of the characters they cherish. They try to copy them in their lives. Not only shows, but many music videos can also have effects on them e.g., the booming Korean pop culture in our country. These Korean stars’ dressing styles and behaviors are being observed by our youngsters and they try to adopt it on themselves.
Fashion has changed the way students are now viewing life. Fashion has strongly taken up even in the lives of school students. Even in schools, students have started to follow these television stars. Instead of paying attention to their education, they became more conscious of what their fellows are wearing and how they look. The interest in books is gone and is changed into dressing interest. This distracts them from their studies and quite often they regret this throughout their lives. It does not mean that they should not be dressed smartly, but they should dress appropriately so that they do not disturb others as well as maintain the sanctity of the educational institution. Most of them desire to be into a glamour world, they think that the fashion world is better than any other job. Teenagers these days have involved themselves so much with fashion that they don’t get enough time for any other thing. The time that they should be spending most on their studies is being wasted checking out new fashion styles.
“Don’t be into trends. Don’t make fashion own you, but you decide what you are, what you want to express by the way you dress and the way to live.”
Positive Effects of Fashion on Students:
Fashion has changed the world and it has both advantages as well as disadvantages in the life of students. Teenage is part of life when everyone wants to look brilliant and the best. They want to compromise with their personality. Positive effects of fashion on students include:
- Following your fashion sense will let you think freely and more of an independent thinker.
- If you think that you are looking best in whatever you are wearing, it gives you a huge sense of self-confidence.
- It is a way of colorful living and exploring life. it also helps you connect people with the same interest.
- Fashion is not only about dressing up and making clothes, you can build up many careers from a fashion degree. The fashion industry opens many doors for people who are interested in being in front of the camera, behind the camera or styling, and making the garment.
Negative Effects of Fashion on Students:
Besides the positive effects, there are also a lot of negative effects that are related to fashion craze among the students. It is obvious that the main focus of the students is to study but they spend more time on fashion and thus are left out with limited study time and also fashion diverts the attention from studies. A lot of youngsters these days think the fashion world is better than any other job and also it’s very easy to be a model or an actor and they can earn some huge money as well as popularity in this profession. However other negative effects of fashion on students include:
- If you become obsessed with fashion, then you may feel anxiety or depression when you are not dressed according to trending fashion.
- Students are not aware of the side effects of chemical products like hair color, bleach which may cause allergic reactions, pimples, or some severe reactions.
- Certain fashion trends are harmful to health. To follow the styles of their favorite celebrities, students may also pick their smoking styles, pierce body parts, and can get body tattoos also. The desire to look beautiful can also take their life.
- Young people and students are the soft targets of the fashion world. they play with the minds of the youth that make them pay more attention to fashion and be less attentive in their studies and career.
Albert Einstein always wore the eldest and worn-out clothes. Once he said that:
“If most of us are ashamed of shabby clothes and shabby furniture, let us be more ashamed of shabby ideas and shabby philosophies…. It would be a sad situation if the wrapper were better than the meat wrapped inside it. Clothes are also the wrapper of our inner self.”
Fashion consciousness is increasing rapidly and everyone wants to look best. There is no harm in looking good until you become obsessed with it. Student life is times when you have to sacrifice a lot of things and they need to understand this. Too much information related to recent trends and styles block the minds of students and divert their attention from their studies. There is no harm in keeping yourself updated with fashion but if it interferes with your academic performance and your time, it should be avoided. Schools also should make some strict rules to avoid fashion accessories in the institution. It is the responsibility of the parents to keep an eye over their children of whether they are wasting much of their time in grooming themselves or are studying. Parents should also restrict their children from spending too much money on clothing and fashion products.